As part of the government's initiatives to recover assets that are stolen/ siphoned off from the country, Financial Institutions Division of Ministry of Finance, on behalf of Bangladesh government, has formed an "Inter-agency taskforce to bring back the siphoned off assets to Bangladesh" by issuing a notification no. 53.009.022.00.00.003.2011-191 dated 20.01.2011. Attorney General of Bangladesh is the convener of the Taskforce. Other members of this Taskforce are:
- Chairman, National Board of Revenue;
- Head of BFIU;
- Director General, Anti Corruption Commission (ACC);
- Joint Secretary, Financial Institutions Division;
- Ministry of Finance;
- Director General, Prime Minister's Office;
- Joint Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs;
- Director General, Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Member, Bangladesh Securities and Exchange Commission; and
- Executive Director, Bangladesh Bank and Deputy Head of BFIU.
Bangladesh Financial Intelligence Unit works as the secretariat of the Taskforce. The Taskforce sits 4 times in a calendar year. The Terms of Reference (ToRs) of the task force are:
- Take initiatives to return the assets that are siphoned off from the country as per provision of Money Laundering Prevention Act 2012.
- In this regard make communication with concerned foreign counterparts, collect information and maintain internal coordination.